Friday, September 23, 2005

“Wide Open Spaces”

As many of you know, lately I’ve been thinking about graduation and what that means for the future. Today I was driving home from shopping at Wal-mart for tailgating stuff and I had a moment. I think everyone has “moments,” as I like to call them. Times when your life is going really well, but you just get a little sad and the tears start flowing. If someone were to ask you what was wrong, you couldn’t say.

Thinking about the future and school coming to an end got me to thinking about how all of this started. I remember packing up my car, and my sister and me following my parents all the way to my new home, ABAC. Which, by-the-way, was 3.5 hours away from home and 4.5 hours away from my sister. This was the first time I had ever been completely without my sister. The first time I had ever had to stand on my own 2 feet. If I remember correctly, as my family was pulling out of the Chandler Hall parking lot (which no longer exist) everyone was crying.

Little did I know that, that fateful day would lead me to Statesboro, Georgia and Georgia Southern. If you had asked me back then if I were planning on going to GSU, I might have doubtfully said “It could happen.” Georgia Southern just wasn’t in my plan. I wanted to teach Horticulture, not English. Boy, how plans change and life takes over.

Now I’m an English major with an Irish minor, both of which I just fell into. I’m dating a great guy and looking into staying in, no other then Statesboro, Georgia. My how things change. I never thought the wide open spaces that I was searching for would lead to Statesboro, the home of… what? Nothing really, maybe the home of Georgia Southern.

I still have dreams. I want to go to Ireland. I want to continue my education. I’d like to have a family one day. The dreams I had when I was 18 and leaving home for the first time have evolved and changed to fit the life that I’m supposed to have. I’m happy with that. I’m glad that I have a free spirit that allows me to go where life takes me. So far it’s been fun, and I hope the adventures keep coming.

No comments: