Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Can you make new friends?

In response to Sunnydale2005's question, "can you make new friends?":

That should be obvious, yes you can. Everyone does in life. Sometimes out of loneliness, a new location, a new job. You meet new people through friends, and then become friends. Life happens and most people just take it in stride. That sounds really easy and perfectly normal. The question at hand is can old friends and new friends mingle together?

I have to be optimistic and say yes. I am the outsider to a group of old friends. I was brought in by a significant other. When one becomes two the dynamic of a lot of situations change, friends included. The key to having a friend is being a friend.

Now here comes the negative side: Everyone has broken up with someone and lost friends because of the break up. It happens. The problem with becoming friends with the new significant other’s old friends is that you know deep down that they are his friends. The 5 months you’ve known them is nothing compared to the 10 to 15 years he has known them.

<-- Blair and Kelley... and above, me getting the shot. Part of the big group of friends and hopeful friends...

My theory as of recently has been to stop worrying about it. People will either like you or they won’t. I have to admit I’m a bit scared. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life at social engagements where no one cares what’s happening in my life. It would be nice to have “our” friends and not just his friends.

So I have to say that I think it can be done. Old friends can make new friends. New people can become apart of the old group. Life changes, people have to change with it.

No comments: