Friday, October 21, 2005

The writing dilemma.

I love songs and I love music. What I don’t truly get is poetry. I think this is a great flaw that I have which doesn’t make any sense because songs are in essence poems. What songs have that words on paper lack is the author’s voice inflection. Singers have the ability to control pitch and tone. This clues the listener into what is important.
I’ve wanted to write about Stevie Nick’s song “Nightbird” for a while now, but I got bogged down on the words. I looked up the lyrics online, and when I actually saw the words in writing, I felt like I lost the true spirit of the song. I lost the atmosphere that the song created for me. Now I have a new plan. I’m going to go back to the song and just listen to it and write about how Stevie’s music affects me, and why I make her music apart of my life.

No comments: