Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Wednesday: Hump Day.

Today is my last Wednesday of freedom. That’s right I will truly be in the real world next week. I don’t know why they call it the real world. The world feels pretty real to me right now. I think “real world” should be prefaced with working depending on context of course. The Working Real World. There. That’s what I’ll be entering next week.

Anyway, I do have a full time position at the Statesboro Regional Library. I will be starting next Monday. I’m very excited and relieved. This is such a great gig. Much better than I had hoped for in Statesboro. I’m having a little trouble figuring out how to balance work and Grad School and, you know, my life. I’m planning on cutting back my classes, but I’m just not sure how much is too much, or too little. I’m like the girl with the bears who wanted it just right. All of you Grad Students, or recently graduated Grad Students ring in with some insight here.

________________________________________________________________________

After safely securing my full-time job, I took a few days to reflect on why I choose English Literature for my major in the first place. I can honestly say that for about 2 months (from May to July) I really resented my degree and how useless I felt it was. But now that my chest isn’t so tight and I’m using more coherent language (something other than the F bomb) I want to make a list of why being an English Major is one of the greatest degrees out there, but I want help. I know why I choose this particular major.

Two Reasons:

1.I loved to read.
2.I sucked at writing, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could write and write decently if not well. Grammar still kills me, thus FANBOYS is always in the back of my mind.

So, English Majors, why this degree?

No comments: